I love carb load days. I don’t have much of a sweet tooth but man do I love me some carbs. I could probably eat a bucket of fries in under a minute and ask for more. So when life gave me potatoes, I made sure I wasn’t just going to have plain old mashed potatoes with my chicken.
Nothing plain to look at here folks. Move it along.
I like to buy two rotisserie chickens from the grocery store every week, separate white and dark meat, and keep them in my fridge for various uses. They’re cheaper than buying your own chicken and save you the time of cooking it yourself! I like to cook my own food whenever I can (pasta sauce, nut butters, oatmeal – you name it) but my summer job is very time consuming and makes this impossible for me. I’m afraid I’m getting a bit spoiled though because it really is quite handy to have cooked chicken ready for you whenever you need it… Anyways, back to the potatoes.
Those warm, melty, cheesy, potatoes… Yummm.
I wanted to make something spicy and savory that would taste good with my chicken so I thought it might be nice to add some taco spice to the mix!
I like to make my own taco spice, the stuff in stores usually has sugar, preservatives or other crap in there I’m not interested in. I believe I found this recipe for the spice on Rachel Ray’s website but I can’t quite remember… it’s jotted down in my food notebook among a bunch of other hard to read stuff… Use it if you like, regular seasoning – if you prefer – will taste just as good.
Taco Seasoning Ingredients:
- 1 T chili powder
- 1/4 t garlic powder
- 1/4 t onion powder
- 1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 t dried oregano
- 1/2 t paprika
- 1 1/2 t ground cumin
- 1 t sea salt
- 1 t black pepper
- Mix it all together and store in a sealed container!
The nice thing about making your own seasoning is that you can always add more or less of certain spices according to your tastes. I like to add a bit of extra red pepper flakes in mine.
- 100g chicken ( or however much you want depending on your potatoes it really doesn’t matter that much)
- 140g potatoes (again – up to you. I used this for a single serving)
- 1 t taco seasoning (start with less and taste your potatoes. It’s always better to have less than more!)
- crushed garlic to taste
- Extra toppings: green onions, bacon bits, sour cream, mozza
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Mix the potatoes well with the taco seasoning. Like I said earlier, start with less and work your way up to what you like. I also added a teeny bit of butter to mine.
3. After you’ve mixed it all up, scoop some out and layer on the chicken.
4. Throw the rest of it back on and add toppings. Like cheese. Add cheese. Did I mention I love cheese?
5. Bake for 10 – 15 minutes, your cheese should be melted and spreading its bubbly goodness all over the casserole.
6. Top with a dollop of sour cream and enjoy!