Please allow me to introduce to you my new favorite comfort food.
Second only to oatmeal of course!
Chili. Cheese. Fries.
Why have one good thing when you can have three? A trifecta of yum. Thrice the yum of regular fries. And healthy!
Alas I never get home at a decent hour to take nice pictures of my food. I’ve learned that 6 and 9 are TERRIBLE hours for good lighting when taking pictures. Stupid work! Either way, I can promise you the fries are AMAZING. I had to quickly snap some pictures before getting ready for work because I have a feeling they aren’t going to last very long… I used a spiralizer to get the fries really thin – also because I’m extremely short on time. You can just as easily cut them up into thicker wedges.
Ingredients for fries:
- Sweet Potatoes
- Coconut oil – about 1 tsp per small potato
- Chili powder
- Fresh lime wedges
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Slice up your potatoes to desired thickness – the thinner they are the crispier they get
- Drizzle (or in my case – massage) the coconut oil into the fries
- Sprinkle with chili powder to taste – I probably used a good 2T for 2 potatoes
- Squeeze out the juice of half a lime (for 2 potatoes)
- Bake for 15-20
Ingredients for chili
- 1kg extra lean ground beef
- 1 large onion
- 1T coconut oil
- 2-3 T minced garlic
- 2 cans beans of choice (I chose kidney – the cans were 15 oz.)
- 1 can tomato sauce (8 oz.)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (15 oz.)
- 1 can tomato paste (6 oz.)
- 1/2 a bottle of beer (something dark and chocolatey)
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 3T chili powder
- 2T ground cumin powder
- 1t paprika
- 2t unsweetened cocoa powder
- Veggies of choice – I used mushrooms, red peppers, corn and diced up some more tomatoes
- Fry up the onions, garlic and cumin powder in a frying pan until fragrant
- Add the beef and brown it – it should be nice and crumbly. I didn’t want to cook mine all the way so it could sit in the slow cooker and soak in beery goodness. If you don’t have a slow cooker, brown it all the way!
- Throw everything in your slow cooker and set it on low for ~5 hours OR throw everything in a pot and let it simmer for a couple hours. Easy Peasy!
- Once your fries are done, top them with your chili, sour cream or greek yogurt, cheese and get ready to flavorgasm.
The combination of hearty beef with sweet potatoes was just wonderful. All topped with melty cheese and a dollop of yogurt and I was in HEAVEN. I can’t believe I’ve never tried this before! Go! Make some now! What are you waiting for!