I went there.
I got to come home early yesterday from my ridiculous 2.5 weeks of nonstop work. I had such grand plans for what I was going to do with my free time… pack… sort out the caterpillars I call my eyebrows… make my man some food for the few days I’ll be gone… shower… work out…
And then I sat down on my bed and… all motivation gone. At the very least I planned on hanging out with him seeing as we spend about 10 minutes a day with each other with our busy schedules and he had the evening off… Yeah that turned into both of us passed out watching Futurama at 8. 8:00 freaking pm I went to bed! 4:00pm tomorrow cannot come soon enough! I’m getting on a bus back to my lovely city and my condo. After living in my parent’s basement out of a suitcase for 3.5 months, I feel like I might cry when I see my own bed.
The one thing I did manage to do was make the most amazing and delicious snack I have ever cooked up in my whole life cross my heart swear to die. I know this is pushing it – even as much as I will fight for bacon against those who immediately dismiss it as unhealthy – this is a rich snack. Is it delicious? Hell yes. Was it exactly what I needed yesterday? All that and then some.
- 2-3 T peanut butter
- 6-7 strips bacon
- 1 1/2 t pure maple syrup
- 1 cup popcorn kernels
In our house, we refuse to use bagged popcorn. Seriously, I know everyone rolls their eyes whenever anyone mentions that X will give you cancer but bagged popcorn is DISGUSTING. Someone offered me some after I’d been making my own for years and I almost threw up at the smell of it. What the hell is that crap? That is not real butter. I would rather have a cup of real butter than whatever garbage they put in the bagged stuff. There’s been multiple studies about the harmful effects of diacetyl (the chemical in the “butter” in the bagged stuff) so seriously, just look out for your health, save yourself a couple bucks and make the stuff yourself.
It’s super easy to pop your own corn, all you need is kernels, a paper bag and some tape. Throw your kernels in the bag, tap it shut and microwave till there is a 1-2 second pause between pops. THAT’S IT. Feel free to slather on as much butter or salt as you want after that. (Within reason of course…)
Popcorn is also a whole grain and really low calorie, super high in fiber so it makes a great filling snack for those of you watching your weight!
Back to my snack.
- Cook up your bacon til it’s nice and crispy. I like to wipe mine down with a paper towel… yes saturated fats are fine but again people – moderation is key!
- While your bacon is cooking, mix the peanut butter and maple syrup. When the bacon is close to being done, you can microwave it for 30-40 seconds to make it a bit runnier. I also added a touch of butter to mine because… just because okay!
- Chop up your bacon into little fun sized bacon bits and mix with the peanut butter mixture
- Toss with the popcorn (make sure you layer people!)
- Additional toppings that might go well: peanuts, cinnamon, more butter!