I think I’ve made it pretty clear in the past that I love oatmeal.
My Dark Chocolate Cherry Bomb with almond butter is currently my favorite.
However, oatmeal is a strict no-no on the whole 30/paleo program. Of course I had to go and find an acceptable substitute.
If you were to put it side by side with the real deal, it’s certainly not as good. And I did only make a basic version – I’m going to want to spend some time toying around with the recipe and various flavors. Not having any form of natural sugars except fruit makes it a bit difficult… but all in all, this stuff is very filling and quite satisfying. My breakfast today consisted of ground beef with sauteed kale topped with a fried egg, cinnamon raisin sweet potato hash browns, and this:
Not too hard on the eyes eh?
Now this isn’t something you should eat everyday. It’s got a lot of nuts and fats in it – which is great – but far more than you should be eating in a meal on whole 30. And of course – there are no veggies so it isn’t very balanced. I had just finished a pretty intense plyometric session so I felt like I deserved a treat 🙂
- handful (around 2 heaping T) of pecans
- handful (ditto 2T) of walnuts
- 2T ground flax seed
- 3 eggs
- 1 very ripe banana
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- splash of almond or vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 T hazelnut butter
- toppings – I used goji berries
- In a food processor, mix pecans, walnuts, flax seed and spices. Grind until the mixture forms a crumby, meal-like consistency. Don’t over do it and make a butter!
- In a separate bowl microwave the banana for 30s (alternately, fry in coconut oil for full flavor) and mash. Add eggs and coconut milk.
- Beat the wet mixture into a thick batter-like consistency.
- Mix all together and microwave. I heated mine for around 2:30s. This all depends on your microwave so keep an eye on things! The oatmeal should start to look like a cake and rise which is a good time to stop the microwave and let it cool.
- Add your choice of toppings (berries, fruits, nuts, coconut shavings etc) and a spoonful of nut butter.