I have no idea why but for some reason every attempt I have ever made (not counting today) at Indian food has just plain sucked. Moroccan? Great. Restaurant style Chinese? Fantastic. Thai? Probably my best yet. But for some reason I can’t seem to nail Indian!
And then this happened
If loving lamb is wrong then I do not want to be right. I want this stuff in my face every day for the rest of my lamby existence. The gravy is rich, fragrant and slightly sweet. The meat is tender and just falls off the bone after swimming for a couple hours in spices and coconut milk. Oh my goodness I want some now…
I inhaled this. It also disappeared pretty much in a couple of hours so maybe make double the recipe… triple? Hell just never leave your kitchen.
I ate it with the mashed “potatoes” and a side of some roasted veggies. Life complete. You need this in your mouth!
- 2 lbs lamb cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 t ground cardamom
- 1/2 t ground cloves
- 2 T paprika
- 2 t chili powder
- 2 t ground cinnamon
- 4 t ground cumin
- 3 1/2 t ground coriander
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 T cayenne pepper
- 1 T clarified butter (or coconut oil but I really recommend the butter)
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1.5 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 1/2 T ginger paste
- 1 1/2 T garlic paste
- Combine all the spices (except ginger and garlic) in a small bowl and mix together well.
- Toss the meat with salt & pepper and mix with your hands
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium – high heat and sear the lamb. This part is so great with the butter – the smell is amazing! I also added a couple pinches of the spice mix at this point – up to you. Let the meat brown. Take it out and set aside
- Add the onions and cook till they are soft. Then add the garlic and ginger. Continue cooking till the onions brown a little.
- Add in the rest of the spices and the meat.
- Stir in the coconut milk and water. Mix well, and bring to a boil. Then cover and reduce heat to a low simmer for a couple hours.
- After two hours, remove the lid and let the sauce thicken.
- Keep a towel handy to wipe the drool off your face.
We actually didn’t have a whole 2 lbs of lamb so I chucked some beef in there. Still AMAZING. This dish is so easy to make, all you need is the spices. It smells amazing, actually doesn’t take much effort to make and is reallllly impressive when entertaining!