You need to make this salad. I had some of yesterday’s lamb curry today that I couldn’t stop raving about and I seriously think this salad is just as good. THAT’S HOW GOOD. ALL OF THE GOOD. Last night I noticed I had some carrots that were going to get all dried out and wrinkly soon so I threw them in the oven with beets and sweet potatoes… Such a great result! I love when you don’t even plan for food to be amazing and it just is.
A note on whole 30: It’s day 6 (should be day 9 no thanks to my caving in to peer pressure… grumble grumble) and while I haven’t had much of a sweet tooth for a while as a result of eating extremely clean – I have no cravings for fruits. None. And I’ve noticed I enjoy the tastes and textures of vegetables much more! When I started whole 30 most of my diet was meat with a small side of veggies… I can’t even imagine the volume of vegetables I’m going through at this point but I’m liking it. I feel good!
Anyway back to the salad.
Can you believe I’ve never been a fan of beets? They’ve always had an alien taste to me. I don’t know what made me buy them yesterday but on a whim I thought – why not give them another shot. I think maybe, cutting back on the fruit due to whole 30 has made me like their unique flavor and texture. I’ve also never really been a salad person. To me it was just a means to an ends – throw some leaves in a bowl and top with veggies to get the good stuff in your body. I will definitely be heading back to the grocery store today to buy some more beets and make this sucker tomorrow.
It was also super filling! Another note on whole 30: I get full now! This is monumental for me. My friends know me as the bottomless pit and for the first time in years I am able to eat a meal and stop! The only cravings I need to get under control are nuts and nut butters… mmm *eyes down cupboard* I’m looking at you cashew butter!
- 2 small sweet potatoes
- 2 beets
- 4-5 medium carrots
- 1 T coconut oil
- 1 level T cinnamon
- 1 pinch rosemary
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- salad mix – I bought the spring mix that’s pre-washed cause I was feeling lazy
- handful of raisins
- 1 T Italian Dressing (recipe to follow)
- Optional: 1 1/2 – 2 T balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400F. Chop up your potatoes, beets, and carrots into 1” cubes.
- Make sure your coconut oil is melted – mine is always a thick paste at room temperature. Toss the veggies in the oil with your hands. Make sure everything gets a good coating.
- Add spices and toss some more (probably use a spoon here!)
- Bake for 20 minutes, then flip the veggies. Bake for another 20 (really you can go longer if you want to bring the flavor out of the beets. The potatoes might crisp a bit but I really like them like that.)
- When veggies are cool, top your salad mix with a good healthy portion and toss with raisins. Add your dressing and enjoy!
I added half an avacado because I am a green machine and eat those suckers with everything. Really tasty!
- 1/4 cup olive oil mayo
- 1 t oregano
- 1 t crushed garlic paste (or more!)
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- Blend and use copious amounts!