Shepherd’s Pie is the ultimate comfort food! How can anyone ever turn down a nice helping of Shepherd’s Pie? It’s got it all. Warm, fatty beef and,
carby mashed potatoes, creamy cauliflower mash. I’ve seen quite a few paleo versions floating around so I thought I’d give it a try – it’s also a great food for gross eaters like me that like to mash everything up in one disgusting pile 😛
I just have such a hard time not feeling guilty while I eat this! When you mix it all up, the cauliflower tastes just like mashed potatoes.
How can something so yummy be so good for you?
Make it and save it for a grumpy day! I had mine with some Kohlrabi Fries.
- 1 batch mashed cauliflower
- 1 – 2T fat of choice/oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5lbs ground beef
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3/4 cup chicken or beef broth
- 1t coconut aminos
- 1t dried rosemary
- 1t dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Melt fat and add onions, carrots and garlic. Soften veggies for about 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef and break it up with a wooden spoon. Make sure it browns – takes about 5 -10 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, broth, coconut aminos, rosemary and thyme. Stir and bring the pan to a boil and then simmer till the mixture thickens. This should take 10 – 15 minutes. Set it aside and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Assemble the pie – layer the meat in a casserole dish first. Then top with the cauliflower mash. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes and let it cool before stuffing in your face!