So I guess I should have introduced the main components of our meal before the pumpkin pie… But I was just so excited at how good it was 😀 My next favorite dish? Definitely the stuffing. I have ALWAYS been a stuffing fan. Mainly because I used to be allll up ons the carbs. So I was really sad when I saw on the whole9 website the recipe suggestion to use meat instead of bread… I mean stuffing is all about the bread! The bread people! Well I tried the meat stuffing and I’m extremely happy to say that even a bread lover like me could forget that crap with this amazing dish.
It’s savory, sweet, nutty and all the other words for good in the English language. I actually cooked the lamb a little then stuffed it in the Turkey for the last 45 minutes of cooking. Because everyone knows stuffing from inside the Turkey tastes way better! I used a can full of ghee for the first three hours to make the Turkey nice and juicy … but that’s another story for another post. It did, however serve to make the stuffing reaaaaally juicy and flavorful. Thanks ghee!
The good news is – you can just as easily make this stuffing as a non holiday feast meal!
- 1lb ground lamb or beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 T coconut oil or cooking fat of choice
- 10-15 figs, chopped
- 3 T hazelnuts chopped
- 1 T sage
- 1/2 t nutmeg
- Melt the fat in a large skillet over medium high
- Add onions and garlic and saute until brown and fragrant
- Add the meat, crumble it and let it brown.
- Add figs, hazelnuts, sage and nutmeg. If you’re making a Turkey, you can stuff it for the last 45 minutes of cooking time. If not, cook for another couple minutes and then eat right away!