If you’re like me, the title is enough. I’m a meat and potatoes kinda girl. Actually, I’ll eat potatoes on anything. Since I started my focus on healthy foods, I have zero cravings for sugar, candy, pasta any of that stuff… but potatoes? Specifically fries… oh mama. Anyway if you’re just starting your journey of healthy eating and you feel like there’s just too much you can’t eat, I find it helps to focus on things that are delicious that you CAN eat. I really like savory foods (like fries!) so I try and make healthier substitutions that will make me happy! … Or sometimes I just make fries. You know 😛 Oh hey, distraction:
Mmm potatoes… Just an FYI, I eat this whole damn thing in one sitting. God I love the way I eat 😀
Dusted with some Parmesan – which you can totally skip out on if you don’t include dairy in your Paleo practice!
Can you tell I’m getting lazy with the photos? Sigh. I’ll pick it up I promise, these are really bad but when a girls hungry and needs to get a pound of beef and potatoes in her face… pictures take a back seat. I actually like this casserole so much I’ve been make other variations of it – like tuna, sweet potato and apple and it is DIVINE! – because it’s just so convenient! It’s also a great comfort food when it’s -30 outside with windchill and all I want to do is eat my casserole outta the pan while watching Trailer Park Boys 🙂
- Roughly 500g ground beef
- 2-3 potatoes sliced thinly – this is entirely up to you and your goals. I use this as a rest day meal but since I’m on a bulk my carbs are a bit high
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups milk – can substitute coconut or almond milk
- 1 medium sized onion, diced fine
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 2 1/2t paprika
- Optional extras: cheese, bacon, ketchup and sour cream for toppins
- In a pan, brown the beef with onions and garlic. The nice thing about ground beef is that it’s literally a blank palette. So if you want to use other spices (garam masala + Lamb for an Indian casserole? Pizza spice + tomato paste + Oregano for Italian?) you can easily change the flavor of this dish.
- Add your spices and continue cooking. Make sure the beef has browned and is no longer pink throughout.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs and milk thoroughly.
- Layer Potato slices with beef in a casserole dish and pour egg and milk mixture all over.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350F for 30 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake for another 30! Voila! Once, I made this casserole with a layer of bacon and cheese. Words cannot express how amazing… Hope you enjoy it!