Oh hey there, remember me? The avocado lady that used to blog once a day?
*Sigh* So I’m super busy with my student teaching – and the thing that kills me is that I’m still cooking just as much. I just have no time to take pictures (It’s dark when I get home!) or upload anything. This blog used to be my little escape and now I’m trying to escape the guilt I have for neglecting it! Ah well, such is life. You know what really cheers me up though?
I found this amazing recipe for a flax meal bread – and I KNOW this is technically not whole 30 approved but really I don’t care. In any case, I’m not craving bread – I just wanted something to put (my new favorite!) tuna spread on and my god is it delicious.
I found this basic recipe for a flax meal focaccia and added sun dried tomatoes and green olives into the dough… Fantastic. Simply fantastic!
Let’s not forget about the reason I’ve eaten about 7 cans of Skipjack tuna this week:
I love meat spreads. (Ha – ha). Seriously, I’ve been going to town on a liver pate I made this week and in my opinion all poultry should come in a creamy spreadable form. Just like this tuna.
And yes, these pictures are taken on my bed and SO WHAT!? My kitchen table is covered with lesson/unit plans so you know what? The bed it is! Anyway, a word to the olive haters out there: GIRL IS YOU CRAZY?
But actually, the olives add such a nice strong flavor to this tuna – if you don’t like them either leave them out or skip this recipe. But really … give it a try! So incredibly tasty you’ll start a tuna addiction like yours truly and empty out the fish market.
Tuna Spread Ingredients:
- 2 Cans Skipjack tuna (low in mercury!)
- 1/4 small onion
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/4 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes
- 1/4 – 1/2 (depending on your tastes) cup pitted black olives
- 1 t mayo
- 1-2 large cloves garlic
- handful of parsley
- Throw everything in a food processor and mix!
- Spread on foccacia, fingers, spoon straight into mouth … you get the drift 😀
Flax meal Focaccia: Ingredients
- 2 cups ground flax meal
- 2-3 egg whites
- 4 eggs
- 1 T garlic powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Add water, olive oil, garlic powder and eggs to flax meal. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whip egg whites till they for stiff peaks. Gently fold into mixture.
- In a lined baking tray, pour in mixture. Run a spatula (or your loving hands) over the mixture and flatten it to about 1-1.5 cms thick. I found that putting parchment paper over the whole thing and then pressing down with my hands helped.
- Sprinkle with additional garlic powder if desired and top with tomatoes and olives.
- Back for about 20 minutes and thank me later 🙂